Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gingersnaps and Pumpkin Dip

This is a dessert that I fix EVERY fall.  The gingersnaps are chewy and delicious and the pumpkin dip tastes like a very sweet pumpkin pie!  YUM YUM..

Gingersnaps

1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
Sugar (optional) 

Cream together shortening and sugar.  Beat in egg and molasses.  Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and ginger together in a bowl.  Add molasses mixture and blend well. Chill cookie dough for at least 1 hour.  Then using your hands, roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 7 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.  If desired, (I always do this.  It forms a nice crust on the tops) roll dough balls in sugar before baking.  Bake at 350. 
Yields about 4 dozen.


Pumpkin Dip

2 8oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
15 oz. can of pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lb. powdered sugar

Blend cream cheese with mixer until smooth.  Add pumpkin and spices to cream cheese mixture, fold in powdered sugar.  Chill before serving.

NOTE:  I always 1/2 the pumpkin dip recipe because it makes so much.  

HAPPY FALL!

6 comments:

Its Me said...

Hey Beth: What do you serve with your pumpkin dip?

Anonymous said...

You know that these are my favorites. And Kelly's too for that matter. Ginger snapsare a good sweet cookie for a diabetic! I am thinking about doing these for our cooking center at our preschool harvest party!
Renee'

bethsessoms said...

Angela, I serve the gingersnaps with the dip. They are great together. But you could also serve vanilla wafers or apple slices with it. Also for the record I don't like the store bought gingersnaps. They have a very strong flavor but this recipe is very mild.

jewel1018 said...

Yummy Yum. I do hope we do this for the harvest party!
Oh and so you know I'm not a hooker(oops what i meant to say- a stranger)....i]I'll leave my name this time.
Luv ya girl,

Amber Wheeler

jamie said...

i love gingersnaps!!!


i will totally be writing down this recipe. thanks beth

Its Me said...

HEY BETH. THANKS. I WILL MAKE THE PUMPKIN DIP NEXT WEEK SOMETIME. I JUST POSTED A RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE BUGLES. YOU HAVE TO TRY IT. SO SO YUMMY AND INEXPENSIVE TOO. LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU TRY THEM. =)