Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Whole Armor of God


We started this week teaching Adele about the armor of God.  I have been trying to decide how to go about this for a couple of weeks now.  So, Jason printed off some clip art and I taped it to a piece of poster paper, taped on the labels and voila... the armor of God man was born!  We are very excited about teaching this to her and to our family as well (I feel certain we will ALL benefit). 

My plan is to go over each piece of armor week by week.  My mom  helped too by purchasing the Armor of God outfit from Lifeway.  I am sure Adele is going to love putting all that on as we talk about each piece (she already has great plans to fight the dog!).  Another cool thing is that I was looking online at different ways to go about this and I saw a "Armor of God" board game for kids.  I thought, "how cute is that"!  Then I thought, "Oh, I have that game"!  DUH!!!  

Please pray for us as we learn and teach this to Adele.  Pray that God will use this time to grow our family spiritually, prepare us for His plans for our lives and honor Him.  I hope that during these weeks God will help me to see opportunities and/or situations in our everyday lives that can be used to explain the purposes of the armor of God to her and why it is so important.  

I am including some pics of the armor of God man and our "armor of God girl" too!

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, having fastened the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.  In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one, and take up the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.  To that end keep alert with all perseverance making supplication for all the saints.     
Ephesians 6:10-18

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is Tess. very cool armor and poster. i loved when Aidan and I did this the summer before he started first grade. we enjoyed learning each piece. I had him draw it out a couple of different times and those drawings are some of mine and mom's favorites.

Its Me said...

Hey Beth. I know Adele will enjoy learning about this! Can you email me a bunch of things that you use to do with Adele when she was about 16 months old. I want to do some neat stuff with Tyler this spring and summer and I know you are really creative. I hope you are doing great!

jamie said...

That looks great. Is this from the big truths for little kids or is this something different?

bethsessoms said...

This is from "Big Beth's Truths for LIttle Adele". Just kidding of course! No, this wasn't from the book it was just something that we wanted her to learn about. Of course I'm not the first mom to ever teach about the armor of God. There was lots of info. online about how and what to teach. You should teach this to your kids, you would be so great at it.

Anonymous said...

I think so too.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth!
It is so encouraging to read about how ya'll are striving to be faithful to God's command to teach Adele!
miss you guys
Kay

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth! I wanted to let you know how much I enjoying reading your blog. You are so creative and it really shows in your posts. Also, you are such a great mom! Adele is a very blessed little girl! Keep blogging because you are great at it!

Michelle House