Thursday, April 30, 2009

#2


For those of you who read my "25 random things about me" post, this was #2 (you thought this post was going to be about poop didn't you?).  Anyway, yes we finally got our garden started and it has been so much fun. We started this winter talking about and planning our garden and then as spring was approaching I honestly was having second thoughts.  I wasn't sure we could pull it all off... the tilling, planting, weeding, watering and so forth.  But we decided to give it a go. Along the way we have gotten some very helpful advice from many people and a really great book my g-ma let us borrow (although we have had it so long she probably thinks she is never getting it back... sorry g-ma).  

We planted corn, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (several kinds), watermelon, sunflowers, zucchini and carrots (Jason did I leave anything out?).  And speaking of Jason, during this planting adventure I have seen a side of my husband that I didn't even know existed. I wasn't really planning on him helping me with the garden, I just didn't think it would be something he would be interested in.  BUT... it all started with him printing some graph-paper off of the computer (you read right) and making a map of the garden... to scale!  In the process we had to change some of the locations of the plants and silly me I said, "Lets just plant them wherever."  Apparently that phrase is some sort of garden blasphemy.  No he said, we have to redo the "map".  Did we switch places or what? (usually I am the one who is so anal)  Any who... 

Adele has really enjoyed the garden too and I hope that she learns a lot about life and the meaning of life and.... just kidding, I just hope that we get some good free veggies!  Seriously I would recommend starting a garden, it really has been a fun family project (check back with me after about a month of pulling weeds in the 90+ weather and then see if I still recommend it). 

Here are a few pics. 

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey it's tess
love the post--i think your garden is way cool. we have enjoyed watching the progress.

jewel1018 said...

Yes, it is WAY cool! Tell Jason the rows are perfectly straight and I am impressed! :)
One question though. Did I see you plant more than one seed of corn in each hole? I was told (by a farmer) you only plant one seed. What does your book say?
I like weed free, veggie growing gardens! Looking good!!!!

bethsessoms said...

I will let Jason know that you are impressed. The book says to plant 3 corn seeds together and then snip off the ones not wanted. But just because the "book" says it doesn't mean that is the best way. I am sure that we have A LOT to learn. We did pull some small weeds today, but not to bad so far. We are really enjoying ourselves. Thanks for all the encouragement!!!

Anonymous said...

Amber, I am a little concerned. I have noticed the subject of "weed" has popped up in several of your comments. And in the latest comment you are so brazen as to tell us all that you like weed free. Remember, people could be watching!

jewel1018 said...

We rode out that way last night to take the game to Renee's house. I wanted to stop and see your garden!
I spent some time in mine this afternoon.
Jason~ There is more I need to be worried about people watching other than that! :)

bethsessoms said...

Amber you should have stopped by. You are welcome any time! Maybe our families can have a cookout and hang out some this summer, we can chat, the kids can play and the guys can play guitar. I want to come see your garden too! What all did you plant?

Its Me said...

I would love an update on that garden. Mine is only 2 rows :(

bethsessoms said...

I am planning on taking some pics. today of the garden... it has really grown! I think that 2 rows is great:) You should be very proud of yourself! I will try to post soon with some updates and new pictures.

Its Me said...

Thanks Beth. Let me know if your watermelons turn out. We planted them last year and had to throw everyone of them away. I would love to have 5 rows next year. This year we have corn, string beans, yellow squash, zuchinni, cucumbers. I hope it all turns out. Your garden sounds good you planted alot :) I LOVE IT!