Thursday, May 29, 2008

Are they real, Mommy?

There are moments as a parent that you never want to forget...... Adele had her dance recital about a week ago and we were told by the other parents that the dads give the daughters flowers after their performances.  So we went to Walmart and bought roses for her.  I wrapped them in pink and white tissue paper and ribbon.  After her last dance Jason went to the dressing room to get her and bring her back out to sit with us so she could watch the rest of the show.  That is when he presented her with her roses.  When he brought her back out she had the sweetest look on her face.  She just kept starring at the roses like she couldn't believe they were really hers.  Then, (now this is the moment I never want to forget) she carefully took one finger and gently stroked the petal of one of the roses, leaned over so slowly to smell them and then looked at me and said softly, "Are they real mommy?" Trying to choke back the tears I replied, "Yes, they are real".  It really got away with me how those roses made her feel so special.  I mean, I know that it wasn't really the "roses" that made her feel loved, it was what the roses represented to her.  How much we love her.  But I started thinking, do I make her feel that loved everyday?  Do I do little things each day to make her feel that way? And do I let others around me know how much I love them?  I am sure I don't, but I want to.............


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww! That is SO sweet! She will remember that moment too you know. I think she does know you love her like that every day. Great story. It is definitely a keeper!