Thursday, August 21, 2008

Carrot Cake

This is a recipe that I make ALL the time.  I found it in a Farm Bureau magazine about 5 years ago (I always read the last page because that's where the recipes and jokes are).  This carrot cake is actually called "True's Famous Carrot Cake".  I don't have any idea who "True" is or even if "True" is a true person (ha ha).  But, never the less this is the best carrot cake I have ever had.  I love to make this in the fall, it fills the house with that cinnamon scent.  Delicious! 

Ingredients

3 C. flour (all purpose)
2 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 C. fresh grated carrots (YES fresh grated - it is worth it)
1 1/2 C veg. oil
4 eggs

Icing

1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 box 10x powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into three greased 9" round baking pans.  Bake for 30 -35 minutes at 350 degrees.  Yields 10 - 12 servings.  

Optional : 1 cup crushed pecans or walnuts in icing and/or 3/4 cup raisins in batter.

NOTE - These are some changes I make when baking this!

I always mix the dry ingredients first, next add the wet ingredients and then add the grated carrots. I don't make it as a three layer cake, I ALWAYS make it as a sheet cake (9 x 13).  I think this keeps the cake more moist.  I bake it at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).  I also put a piece of tin foil or something over the cake as it cools to help keep the moisture in.   I do use walnuts but I sprinkle them on top of the icing instead of mixing them in.  I have never added the raisins but I am sure that would be good.  

If you like carrot cake you should really try this recipe.  It is very easy and very delicious.

3 comments:

jewel1018 said...

YUM! I think I will try this! Your blog is cute! :)

Bonnie said...

Sounds yummy! Carrot cake is my fave and I have not had a fresh one in ages. I'll have to make this soon.

*feeling the pounds coming my way even as I type*

Anonymous said...

make me some soon!!!!!!!!! please make me some mom