Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bless the Lord

About a week ago Jason posted on an artist named Laura Story.  Then a few days ago he gave me her CD and said "listen to this, I think you will really like it" and he was right!  There is a song called "My God is Mighty to Save" and it is so great.  Adele and I have been listening to this song over and over (and over and over and.... you get the point) in the car, which I think is somewhat annoying to Jason (usually he prefers to only listen to half a song before moving on to the next one!).  The song is #3 on the CD and whenever it is over and another song begins Adele will either say "#3" or hold up 3 fingers (implying for us to replay the song).  However, my new favorite song on this CD is #1 "Bless the Lord".  This song has really spoken to my heart and ministered to me because of some recent circumstances in my life.

My favorite part of "Bless the Lord" is when she says that He gives and takes away to refine us in areas that we don't even realize exist in ourselves so that we can glorify Him more.  I know that this has been true for me recently.  I love that she reminds us that who are we to say what we need.  WHO ARE WE to say what we need?  Every time I hear this song I feel so convicted but at the same time so hopeful and free.  I pray that this song speaks to you the way it has spoken to me. 

Bless the Lord

Laura Story

You give and take away for my good.

For who am I to say what I need?

For You alone see the hidden parts of me

that need to be stripped away.




And as You begin to refine,

I’m learning to let go and rely

on One who walks with me, as hard as it may be.

You’re teaching me all the while to say:


Bless the Lord, O my soul.

All that’s in me bless Your name,

Forget not Your power un- told,

not Your glory or Your fame.

For You came to heal the broken,

to redeem and make me whole.

Bless the Lord, O my soul.

 ( Warning:  a few of the lyrics on the u tube video are typed incorrectly.  It was either this video or one that had pictures that very closely resembled those "assorted" cards you get in the box for birthdays, get well and such.  It wasn't pretty.)





7 comments:

jamie said...

BLESS THE LORD!!!!!
beth you have made me sob this morning. i even had to take off my glasses. my girls and i love that cd too and have been listening to it ever since we got it( until yesterday when michael handed me the new andy goulihorn) i am going to you tube and see if i can post my favorite at the moment that she does, "something beautiful".

i was sitting here listening to "BLESS THE LORD" and i was listening and see the words and yes he came to heal the broke parts of me, to redeem and make me whole and he sees the hidden parts of me that need to be striped away and i am learning to let go and rely and know that he always walks with me. Beth i can see that God is working in your life and he is working in mine also and it just made me so happy this morning that it has made me cry. i love you and i thank you for sharing this song. i really needed it.

Tess said...

Great post--I need to get that CD. I remember hearing about Laura Story when we went to Chris Tomlin and he sang Indescribable. She is obviously an awesome artist. Shane talked about how in Psalm 32 Bless means content. Wanting our souls to be content. The Lord is teaching me much about that. He is also refining me over other strongholds in my life. I am so grateful.

jamie said...

well, i couldn't find that song "something beautiful" and i even had michael search. that stinks.

Anonymous said...

I think it is amazing that while the youth were away at camp, all of you were falling in love with this artist. This week, one of the most impacting songs at Caswell was Mighty to Save. The youth just loved it. Amazing...

bethsessoms said...

I think that is cool too Robin. And I also thought that this year's band was the best I had ever heard at Caswell!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth: Thanks for the song. I needed that too!

Crystal @ A Well-Feathered Nest said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's always great to find someone new to listen to. And what is it with guys and that half a song attention span?