Thursday, July 10, 2008

In the kitchen...

For those of you that know me well, you know that I LOVE to cook, bake, blend and etc.  If it has anything to do with making food I love to do it.  So, at the encouragement of my husband and mother-in-law I am going to every so often post a recipe or something relating to food.  Of course, all the recipes will be from magazines, cookbooks or otherwise.  I said I like to cook, not come up with my own recipes.  Rachel Ray I am not!  I am not sure how this is really going to work or even if anyone will really be interested.  However, I must say that I was disappointed in the lack response (thanks Jamie and Angela)  to my post about "kids say the funniest things." I was really hoping that you guys would have commented back with all the funny things your kids have said.  I was looking forward to laughing. SO, I would really love some comments that contain your recipes or anything that has to do with food or cooking........I KNOW YOU PEOPLE EAT!!!

With that said.....here is the first recipe.

This is my favorite recipe.  If you know me you know I cook this dessert at least 1 time a month!  I found it in a magazine, not sure which one.

EASY STRAWBERRY PIE

Pie shell:
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 tablespoons water
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt                        
   
Pie filling:
2 pints strawberries
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch    
1 cup heavy cream                                                                                         

Crust directions:  Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Combine the oil and water in a bowl and stir well.  In another bowl, combine the flour and salt.  Add the oil and water mixture and combine to the flour and combine until it has a consistency similar to soft clay.  Cut 2 pieces of waxed paper to about 14 inches.  Place the dough between the sheets and roll it out to approximately 12 inches.  Set in a 9-inch pie plate and press carefully.  Trim and flute the edges.  Prick little holes with a fork all over the crust.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and let the shell cool completely. 
NOTE:  If you do not want to make your own crust you can use one of the frozen ready to bake pie crusts.

Pie filling directions:  In a sauce pan, mash together 1 cup of strawberries, 3/4 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of the water.  Cook over medium heat until warm.  Dilute the cornstarch with the remaining water and stir it into the mashed strawberry mixture.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Then boil 1 minute or until the glaze turns thick and clear.  Cool to room temperature.  Use an electric mixer to whip the heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar until peaks form.  Spread one third of the whipped cream into the pie shell.  Slice the remaining uncooked strawberries and put on top of the whipped cream.  Then over that spoon the glaze mixture and top with the rest of the whipped cream.  Refrigerate until serving.  Serves 8.  This is my favorite part....BEST EATEN WITHIN 1 DAY!.

This recipe may seem lengthy but I assure you that it is very simple to make and is one of the best pies I have ever eaten.
I really hope that you will try it.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for not commenting on funny stories about my child. I will try to keep you updated in the future.

As far as recipes... Oodles of Noodles!

Anonymous said...

glad to have the strawberry pie recipe you know i love it. here is an easy breakfast one i got from a coworker. easy sausage squares. brown 1lb of hamburger. mix in 8oz of softened cream cheese. spread on one rolled out can of cresants in a 9x13 nongreased pan. top with another can. bake on 350 for 18-20 minutes. great leftover.
i could blog for days the funny things my kids have said over the years. i have many of them journaled but i thought i would wait until the next funny thing to comment and for some reason they have just not said anything i found very funny :) This is Tess. I can't log on

bethsessoms said...

Thanks for the recipe! Is that the one that you have fixed for sunday school. I LOVE that breakfast 'casserole". It is so delicious and creamy! YUM YUM (Thanks for the comment)

pastor justin said...

Anything strawberry is my favorite. I'll get Jeanna to make this.

Thanks for coming to the picnic this evening.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth: I love your idea about posting recipes I too love to cook! I have a couple here that are real simple but GREAT.

Get 6 red potatoes and cut into wedges and place in a bowl (wash them first). Then put salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of Mrs. Dash Original Blend and 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. Put a lid on the bowl and shake around and then place the potatoes in a Pam Sprayed baking dish and bake for 40 minutes on 400 degrees.

GRILLED SQUASH
take one squash and cut into little bitty pieces and you will need a half of cup of onion in little bitty pieces. Place in Pam Sprayed Reynolds Wrap and put 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in it with Salt, Pepper and a little garlic mix really well and seal the Reynolds Wrap cook on the grill about 30 minutes then enjoy =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth: Tyler says da-da LOL ma-ma and nana. =) I had to throw that in. He is a cutie!

oh I am on a Weight Watchers kick so my recipes were healthy but VERY yummy!

jamie said...

hey now, i thought i did comment on your funny things kids say post.go back and look, girl. i have a good recipe that everyone has liked so far. hold on i have to take my kids to the library. i'll be back

jamie said...

6 chicken breast tenderlions
1.5 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
2 cans of cresent rolls
1 can of cream of mushroom soup

-mix cooked and shredded chicken and 1 cup of shreded cheese together
-cook soup by directions on can and add .5 cup of cheese.
-roll chicken and cheese mixture in cresent rolls. make like a dumplin.
-put dumplins in a 13x9 in. pan and pore mushroom soup over top and cook at 375 for about 25 min.

bethsessoms said...

I know, you and my friend Angela are the only 2 that posted on funny things kids say. That is why I said in this post "thanks Jamie and Angela".

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good!

jeanna said...

What a good idea, posting recipes. I was going to email you, but I can't find your email address, sorry! Can you email me and then I'll email you back. intimacywithgod@hotmail.com, thanks.

jamie said...

sorry beth, i thought you were being sarcastic.my bad.haha

jamie said...

i just noticed your family and friends thing on the side there. i like that. do you have to keep that up or does it do it automatically?

bethsessoms said...

Jamie, It does it automatically. It is a feature that you can choose from your "dashboard". I really like it because I can see if any of my friends have posted recently. it make it very convenient.

jamie said...

that is really cool. i like it too. i could just go to your blog first and see if anyone has posted anything new.

Shannon said...

Wow...Beth, I love this idea of posting recipes. I will have to think on it and get back with one or two recipes asap. Are you coming tomorrow evening?

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth! Still getting use to reading everyones blog. I feel like I barely have time to breathe much less read blogs or have conversations with other adults!!! This strawberry pie is one of my favorites! But i have never anything that you made that I do not like (right Jason!!! - miss you at breakfast man :-( ) I have a request - PIZZA DIP. You cna just email it to me if it's not on your "recipe to blog list." See you at the pool! - Renee

bethsessoms said...

Renee I will post the pizza dip recipe. You are right it is SO good. Thank you for the comment!

Anonymous said...

OK - so I'm behind. This is something that my kids just LOVE to eat. It isn't really a recipe, persay, but it is easy and quick and you don't have to go to Chico's and pay $10.95 for one - you can make it in your own house for nuttin'.

Quesadillas

Soft Tortillas (two for each needed)
*There are different sizes so you choose
Shredded cheese (you choose which kind)
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Chopped boneless chicken (optional)

I use my BIG griddle so I can cook more than one at the time. Start by placing a good drop of EVOO on the griddle where a tortilla is going to be placed. Place a soft tortilla on the dot and turn it with your hand to spread out the EVOO. Spread a layer of cheese on the tortilla - you choose the amount - I love lots of cheese! Make sure you spread it out evenly and to the edges. Then take the second tortilla and put it on top of the cheese. Add another dab of EVOO on top and spread with a spoon. The bottom side should be brown by this point so you can turn it over and brown the other side.

If I want chicken quesadillas, all I do is grill or boil my boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (maybe four for a family of 4 if you are all eating chicken) and chop them into little pieces. After the cheese is placed on the tortilla, I just add the chicken.

My kids love them plain like this, but you can spice it up. You can add whatever you like on them - jalopenas, salsa, etc.

They are great for sleepovers or for a quick meal. We have them at least once a week.