Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Desert Rose


A few years after Jason and I got married his mother, Jackie gave me her china which was a pattern called "Desert Rose".  Soon after that my grandmother started to give me more pieces in the set.  So now it has become a tradition with me and my grandmother that every Christmas and birthday she gives me more pieces.  

When Adele was in the 4 year old class at St. Andrew's Preschool  (also where I work) her teacher, Kay Thompson did this art project with the kids to sell at our silent auction.  What she did was use the kids' fingerprints to make a picture of a flower.  So, here I am copying her idea. Thanks Kay!

I decided to make mine to match my china, Desert Rose and hang it in my kitchen beside the hutch.  What I did was buy a canvas board from Big Lots for $5 and then acrylic paint to match the flowers, leaves and stems of my china.  It wasn't hard, Adele loves crafts so she was a willing participant.  Also Jason and I made a few leaves and flowers with our fingers just so all of our family members could have a part in it, but it is mostly Adele's fingerprints.  Our plan is for Jason to make a frame for it..... hopefully sometime soon!  I really enjoyed doing this with Adele and now the china means even more to me.  Enjoy the pictures!

(If you click on the picture you can go straight to bubbleshare and view them bigger)
BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.

4 comments:

jamie said...

i love it! our family is going to do one.thanks for the sharing the idea.

Tess said...

you know i love it--my 2 have been on my wall since last summer and i never tire of looking at them. the first and only things hanging on the wall in my house and they are a timeless to me. they don't age like photos and everytime i look at them i marvel that they are made with my kids fingerprints. cool you blogged the idea

Anonymous said...

It is georgeous! I LOVE the picture of the painting on the china hutch. Adele did an awesome job! And you guys too! I have artwork that Nicholas and Miranda have painted and have always intended to get them framed, but never have. They are put safely away in the attic. I really need to do that. Thanks for making me think of their pieces.

Shannon said...

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!